NEW FOR 2009:
- New two-wheel drive model
- New 2.5-litre four-cylinder replaces 2.4-litre four-cylinder
- Revised exterior styling
- New active head restraints, fuel economy meter, and vehicle stability control cut-off switch
- Audio auxiliary input relocated
- Base model receives colour-keyed molded spare tire cover, deletes rear cargo cover and tray net
- Base V6 model receives rear privacy glass and colour-keyed molded spare tire cover, deletes rear cargo cover and tray net
- Sport model receives 18-inch alloy wheels, Sport Grade rear spoiler, colour-keyed molded spare tire cover, automatic headlamps, and auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated backup camera, deletes six-CD changer, rear cargo cover and cargo net
- Sport V6 model adds Sport Grade rear spoiler, colour-keyed molded spare tire cover, power sunroof, automatic headlamps and auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated backup camera, deletes rear cargo cover and cargo net
- Limited models add Limited Grade front bumper and grille, revised 17-inch alloy wheels, Smart Key system with pushbutton start, automatic headlamps, auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated backup camera, colour-keyed fender flares and XM satellite radio-ready antenna with prewiring
- Exterior colours: Magnetic Grey Metallic, Sandy Beach Metallic and Pyrite Mica added; Flint Mica, Savannah Metallic and Everglade Metallic deleted
- Interior trim: Dark silver finish added, brushed metallic trim deleted
For 2009, the Toyota RAV4 undergoes a facelift and receives a new four-cylinder engine and revised list of standard features. A new front-wheel drive version with limited-slip differential is available on five trim levels. On the exterior, the RAV4 gets a redesigned front grille, front and rear bumper, headlamps, fog lamps and rear bumper protector; the fender-mounted antenna is replaced with one mounted on the roof, and the outside mirrors now contain turn signals. Inside, there are front active head restraints; there is a switch for the display on the steering wheel; a vehicle stability control cutoff switch and fuel economy gauge are added; and the auxiliary input for the stereo has been relocated. The APX Leather packages have also been deleted.
A new 2.5-litre four-cylinder with Dual Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence and an Acoustic Control System replaces the previous 2.4-litre four-cylinder. The RAV4's other engine choice remains a 3.5-litre V6. The four-cylinder is mated to a four-speed automatic, the V6 to a five-speed automatic. Driveline choices are two- or four-wheel drive, with V6 models including hill-start and downhill assist control.
Both the four-cylinder and V6 engines come in Base, Sport and Limited trim.
Features on the Base models include 17-inch steel wheels, air conditioning, CD/MP3 stereo with auxiliary input, fabric seats, 60/40 split-folding rear seat, power locks with keyless entry, dual vanity mirrors, power windows with driver's side auto up/down, tilt and telescopic wheel, floor mats, cruise control, heated mirrors with integrated turn signals, colour-keyed molded spare tire cover, front and rear splash guards, roof rack, rear spoiler, variable intermittent wipers, windshield de-icer, intermittent rear washer/wiper, and automatic headlight cancel feature.
The Sport models add 18-inch alloy wheels, premium cloth seats, auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated backup camera, rear privacy glass, Sport rear spoiler, automatic headlamps, black headlamp surround and fog lamps.
The Limited models use 17-inch alloy wheels and add dual-zone automatic climate control, six-CD/MP3 stereo with auxiliary input, wheel-mounted controls and XM satellite pre-wiring, eight-way power driver's seat, cargo cover, cargo net, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and Smart Key system with pushbutton start.
Smoothly restyled and with several new features, the RAV4 now benefits from a new engine that improves on the sometimes sluggish performance of the outgoing four-cylinder. The V6 remains a good choice as well, as it's well-mated to this rugged little performer. The new choice of two-wheel drive, previously available only in the U.S., should make it popular with buyers who like the RAV4's size and practicality, but don't need the four-wheel system. The 60/40 seats fold entirely to create a flat cargo space, increasing its capability; overall, this is a well-done little utility vehicle. Later in the model year, production will switch from Tahara, Japan to the company's new plant in Woodstock, Ontario.
No content available
This vehicle has not yet been reviewed