The Ontario government searched Volkswagen Canada offices yesterday, part of an ongoing investigation into the dieselgate emissions scandal.
"Yesterday, MOECC executed a search warrant at (Volkswagen Canada's) Ajax facility. Under the charge, Volkswagen is alleged to have caused or permitted the operation of vehicles that did not comply with emission standards prescribed by Ontario regulations," said Environment Minister Chris Ballard in a statement today.
The Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change said that it had charged Volkswagen with one count last week, alleging that the company failed to comply with Ontario emissions standards. The government said that the search warrant was part of an ongoing investigation into the dieselgate scandal that began in 2015.
MORE RELATED ARTICLES
The National Post reported that 24 officers, including Ministry of Finance computer experts, arrived at VW's Ajax campus early Tuesday morning.
A VW spokesperson told the National Post that the raid was unexpected and that the company is co-operating. "We’ll continue to co-operate with (the Ministry) until they have the information they require," he said.
Volkswagen owners and dealers are not part of the investigation, and the charges are against the parent company, Volkswagen AG. "We have no reason to believe that (the Canadian subsidiary has) committed any offences," said investigator Warren Korol.
Dieselgate continues 9/20/2017 6:50:25 PM 9/20/2017 6:50:25 PM